How to Make Herbal Cough Drops and Lozenge Recipe
These cough drops are great for those dry cough that tickle your throat at night and that prevent you from sleeping. These homemade herbal cough drops help alleviate symptoms and boost your immune system for fast recovery.
Sage Leaves (Salvia officinalis):
Sage is antiseptic and astringent, helping to soothe swollen tissues like sore throat.
Hyssop Leaves (Hyssopus officinalis):
Hyssop has a strong affinity for the lungs. It is warming and can help expel mucus. Herbalists use it not only for colds and the flu but also for some types of asthma.
Thyme Leaves (Thymus vulgaris): We often think of thyme as a simple culinary spice, but this delicate plant packs quite a punch. It also has a strong affinity for the lungs and is used to loosen phlegm and open up the bronchioles.
1 tablespoon dried sage leaves
1 tablespoon dried hyssop leaves
1 tablespoon dried thyme leaves
2 cups of organic sugar
3/4 cups of organic black strap molasses
How to Make Homemade Herbal Cough Drops and Lozenge Recipe:
1. Prepare your hard candy molds for the mixture or lightly grease a cookie sheet or casserole dish
2. Make a strong brew of tea by combining the sage, hyssop and thyme with one cup of water
3. Let this steep for 15 minutes (covered) and then strain off the herbs. We’ll use 1/2 cup of this strong tea
4. Next, combine all the ingredients in a medium to large saucepan. This includes a 1/2 cup strong herbal tea ,the sugar and the black strap molasses
5. Turn the burner to medium high heat and stir this mixture constantly until it reaches 300º F
6. When the mixture solidifies when dropped into the cold water, it’s done. It takes about 15 minutes for the candy to 300º F
7. Once ready, pour into the hard candy molds (or greased cookie sheet)
8. If you are using a cookie sheet or casserole dish, you’ll need to start cutting the cough drop squares immediately. If you wait too long, the mixture will solidify
9. To cut out the lozenges, I use the end of a spatula to make lines across the dish in both directions