Home Remedies to Get Rid of Sore Throat at Home
If you have a sore throat swallowing becomes the painful process you have a constant irritation in your throat and may also get fever or chills. A sore throat is a viral infection which comes along with cold or flu. Influenza, sinus, measles or diphtheria can also lead to this infection.
You will feel very unpleasant to swallow foods with an unavoidable pain, and it can be caused by swollen tonsils or an infection and irritation in the throat. Generally, infections cause the majority of sore throats and are contagious. Infections are caused either by viruses such as the flu, the common cold, mononucleosis, or by bacteria such as strep, or hemophilus.
It is an inflammation or infection of the pharynx accompanied with discomfort, pain, or scratchiness in the throat. Pharyngitis is a painful inflammation of the mucous membranes lining the pharynx, and is referred to as a sore throat. Infection of the tonsils, tonsillitis may occur simultaneously. The viruses responsible for causing sore throat are very contagious. Especially in the flu seasons, it is very difficult to prevent sore throat from occurring.
Most natural home remedies boost our body’s natural resistance power to combat infections and to support our immune system. Other major causes of sore throat are: medication, surgery, radiation, dust, smoke, chemicals and gum infection, allergies. If the sore throat lasts longer than a week, mononucleosis may be the reason and you should see a doctor. Strep throat is another dangerous virus that calls for a visit to the doctor.
Symptoms: The symptoms of a sore throat include pain, particularly on swallowing, painful swollen glands in the neck and drooling of saliva. There are several different home remedies that you can use for your sore throat. Let us look at some home remedies to cure this condition.
Home Remedies to Get Rid of Sore Throat at Home:
1 # Lemon, Black Pepper and Salt: The citric acid in lemons works as an antidote to the throat pain. Lemons are loaded with antioxidants and contain a mild astringent which is extremely beneficial in reducing the swelling in the throat.
- Take 1 tablespoon of lemon juice in small bowl
- Add half a teaspoon of black pepper powder
- Add half a teaspoon of salt
- Mix it well
- Place this in another bowl of warm water
- Consume this mixture 3 times a day when lukewarm
2 # Black Pepper, Salt and Cinnamon: Black pepper is a well known home remedy to treat sore throat and throat infections. Salts help to remove the excess water that builds up inside the mucus membranes, thereby shrinking the membranes. Once inflammation in the throat abates, the pain will subside automatically.
- Take a glass of hot water
- Add 1 teaspoon of black pepper powder
- Add 1 teaspoon of salt
- Add 1 teaspoon of cinnamon powder
- Mix it well
- Gargle your mouth with this mixture 2 times a day
3 # Pomegranate Juice: Pomegranates have long been coveted for their exquisite beauty, remarkable color and delicious flavor. However, most people are unaware of the fact that pomegranates are healing powerhouses. Drinking fresh pomegranate juice can cure a variety of ailments including a painful sore throat.
- To prepare pomegranate juice
- Cut a whole pomegranate in half and extricate the crunchy jewel-like seeds
- Use a blender to grind the pomegranate seeds into a fine paste
- Dilute the pomegranate paste with half a cup of water
- Drink this delicious juice to ease the pain and swelling caused by sore throat
- Repeat this home remedy a couple of times a day till the pain / swelling eases
4 # Ginger Tea: There is a general misconception that drinking freshly brewed ginger tea can aggravate a painful sore throat because of its intense / spicy flavor. Drinking ginger tea frequently can bring relief from the pain as it helps to flush out the toxins which are lodged inside the throat. Furthermore, hot ginger tea acts as natural expectorant and expels mucus that accumulates in the back of the throat.
- To prepare ginger tea
- Wash a two inch slice of fresh ginger root thoroughly
- Remove the outer peel of the ginger root, and cut it into large chunks
- Boil one and a half cups of water
- Toss the ginger root chunks into the boiling water
- Allow the water containing the ginger root bits to boil for approximately three to five minutes
- Switch off the heat source and strain the liquid
- Add a teaspoon of honey to the freshly brewed ginger tea and drink this concoction while it is still hot.
5 # Gargle with Salt Water: Throat pain commences when the mucus membranes (inside the throat) become highly inflamed. Gargling several times a day with warm salt water can reduce inflammation of the throat.
- Mix half a teaspoon of rock salt or table salt in a cup of warm water
- Stir the liquid till the salt dissolves completely
- Now gargle vigorously
- The warm saline solution flushes out bacteria and other toxins which are lodged inside the throat
- Repeat this home remedy several times a day till the pain and inflammation subsides.
6 # Hot Soups: There is nothing quite as nourishing or soothing as a cup of hot soup, to get rid of a nasty sore throat. Drinking warm soup can ease the pain and inflammation due to a throat infection. The sodium in the warm soup has potent anti-inflammatory properties. When the inflammation subsides, the pain diminishes as well. The nourishing ingredients in the soup can further boost overall immunity levels, and this in turn can hasten the recovery process.
- To treat sore throat
- Drink plenty of freshly prepared chicken soup or mixed vegetable soup
- Three or four times a day.
7 # Gargle with Baking Soda: Rummage around your kitchen cupboard for some baking soda if you are suffering from a painful sore throat. Gargling several times a day with baking soda solution is one of the simplest and most straight forward home remedies to cure sore throat. Sodium Bicarbonate or baking soda has potent anti-bacterial and anti-fungal properties. The anti-bacterial property of baking soda helps to destroy the infectious bacteria which reside inside the throat. The alkaline properties of baking soda can also soothe inflamed tissues and membranes in the throat.
- To prepare this gargle, dilute half a teaspoon of baking soda in a cup of Luke-warm water
- Add a pinch of salt to the solution
- Take a mouthful of this solution and gargle vigorously for fifteen seconds
- Now spit out the solution
- Repeat the above step till you run out of the solution
- Follow this home remedy a couple of times a day to get relief from painful sore throat
8 # Bayberry Bark: This gargle makes a very good remedy for all kinds of throat infections.
- A hot decoction of the bayberry bark is taken as a gargle.
9 # Turmeric and Pepper: Both turmeric and pepper are storehouses of medicinal properties and this concoction has proved to be an effective home remedy for sore throat.
- Boil a cup of milk
- Add a a pinch of turmeric and pepper powder
- Have it when its lukewarm
- Turmeric and pepper is a good home remedy for sore throat
10 # Basil: Basil leaves is a good home remedy for sore throat.
- Basil leaves crushed and boiled with water is a good home remedy for sore throat.
- Take about 10 to 20 basil leaves
- Crushed and allowed to boil in water
- Strain the water and take internally as well as for gargling
- Or you can also make a juice from basil leaves
- Add a pinch of turmeric powder
- It offers a soothing relief for people who are suffering from sore throat
11 # Fenugreek: Fenugreek seeds are also a good remedy for sore throat.
- Boil a handful of fenugreek seeds in half a liter of water.
- Strain the water and gargle with this water for 2 to 3 times a day
12 # Mango Tree Oil: The bark of a mango tree is an effective home remedy for sore throat. Since extracting the juice of the bark is difficult because of its hard texture.
- Add a teaspoon of mango tree oil in hot water
- Gargle at periodic intervals
13 # Honey and Lemon Juice: This home remedy for sore throat is also recommended by most of users.
- Mix a tablespoon each of honey and lemon juice in 1 cup warm water and sip this mixture slowly.
14 # Cinnamon: Cinnamon which is most commonly found at homes is a good home remedy for sore throat when boiled in warm water and taken along with a pinch of pepper powder and honey. For small children, cinnamon is mixed with honey and a pinch of turmeric powder and given when they suffer from sore throat.