Having healthy, lustrous hair is a desire that all people have. It can be worrying when it stops growing as fast as you would like or starts falling out. However with a few changes to your diet, lifestyle and grooming practices it is possible to promote better hair growth.
Hair is a living organ and to have healthy lustrous hair, the first thing you need to do is look at your diet. Diet is important essentially because the food you eat is what feeds the hair follicles and therefore determines the type of hair you have. A diet rich in vitamin D, C, and E as well as minerals such as calcium, iron, and zinc is ideal for good hair growth.
You can get these vitamins and minerals from dark green leafy vegetables such as spinach and collard greens. Hair is mainly made up of proteins and increasing your protein intake will help keep your follicles growing healthy and strong. Good sources of protein are fish, eggs and beans. It also needs fatty acids such as omega 3 while growing to become supple and soft. You can get these fatty acids from fish or from flaxseeds as well as pumpkin seeds.
To boost healthy hair growth, you will need to drink plenty of water. The recommended six to eight glasses a day should be enough. Avoid alcohol, too much fat intake and lots of sugar as these dehydrate you and may leave your hair dry and brittle. Keep your hair and scalp clean. Wash it regularly with a good shampoo and conditioner. Avoid over-washing it as this can lead to breakage. Also avoid harsh shampoos that remove it’s natural oil leaving it dry and brittle.
Make sure you massage your scalp regularly. Massage improves blood flow to the scalp and ensures that the follicles are well nourished. Getting enough sleep is also important as hair grows faster while you sleep. Also relaxing and sleeping well helps you manage stress effectively and helps prevent losing hair due to stress. A number of herbs such as sage and rosemary have been identified as helpful stimulants.
Simply apply a few drops of the essential oil in your shampoo rinsing water and rinse with it. Also avoid heat treatments and styling your hair using heat as much as possible. This is because heat damages the hair structure leading to excess breakage. Here is where you can get more information on hair fall treatment, if you need it.
Finally, treat it gently. Do not pull it into tight hair styles such as pony tails. Remember to brush it gently and find a good hairdresser who will treat it gently too. Also try and sleep on a satin pillow or cover your hair to reduce the friction on it while you sleep.
You can try and eat enough of these foods daily to get the right amounts of vitamins and minerals or you can simply take a good multivitamin supplement as well as an essential fatty acids supplement. Online home remedies provide you essential information to help you grow more, fuller and healthier hair quickly and with minimum effort.
Natural Home Remedies for Hair Growth at Home:
1 # Onion Home Remedy: Onion juice is an excellent home remedy it contains collagen it can rebuild your hair and even repair your hair tissue.
- Take 2 onions and peel the skin
- Cut into 4 peace each onion
- Make a paste using blender and extract its juice
- Apply the juice to your scalp and hair
- Massage it gently
- Leave it on for about 20 to 30 minutes to dry
- Then wash it off with mild shampoo
- Use this remedy twice a week for good results
2 # Curry Leaves: Curry leaves is an excellent home remedy for hair growth. These leaves are extremely high in Vitamin C, they therefore help clean up your blood, leaving your skin fresh glow, your hair with more luster.
- Boil handful of curry leaves with coconut oil till the oil gets black
- Massaging the scalp with this oil will prove to be very effective and useful
- Alternatively by making its paste and apply on your scalp
- Leave it on for about 30 minutes
- Then rinse with normal water
- Use this 2 to 3 times in a week for best results
3 # Potato: Potato juice contain vitamin E, A and C. Without this essential nutrients, hair becomes brittle and dry.
- Grate 3-4 potatoes and apply the juice on your scalp
- Massage it for about 15-20 minutes
- If you have very dry hair, you can add 1 egg yolk and 1 tablespoon of honey to it
- Apply the mixture on your scalp and leave it on for 30 minutes
- Then wash it off with a mild shampoo
4 # Eggs Home Remedies: Eggs being full of protein, vitamins and nutrients are excellent for preventing hair fall and they have been used since centuries to maintain strong and shiny hair.
- Apply an entire egg and gently massage your scalp and hair
- Leave it on for about an hour
- You can make an egg hair mask by adding 1 teaspoons of honey and 1 teaspoons of olive oil to 2 whole eggs
- Leave it on for about half hour before wash it off
5 # Henna Paste: Henna paste is not only a good conditioner but that adds smoothness and shine. It also aids hair growth.
- Make a henna pack by combining a cup of henna powder with half a cup of yogurt
- Mix them well and apply all over your scalp and hair smoothly
- Let it dry out completely and then wash it off with a mild shampoo
6 # Scalp Massage: You can encourage hair regrowth by simply massaging your scalp. This can help in the stimulation of hair growth at a faster rate. This is a very good useful technique if your hair loss is temporary and not at the advances stage.
Use scalp massage frequently to stimulate your nerves and generate better circulation. Scalp massage has been proven to be effective in stimulating hair growth, because it reduces stress and tension that are primary causes of thinning hair. This is a technique that can be used daily with no risk of damage or more hair loss.
7 # Jojoba Oil: Jojoba oil is also very effective for problems like hair growth, eczema and psoriasis. It is advisable that you massage your scalp gently with your fingertips. Three minutes a day is enough, be sure not to scratch your scalp using your fingernails because it could do damage to your delicate hair follicles.
Try massaging your scalp using Jojoba Oil, as it is a good source of vitamin B, E and other minerals and your hair will surely get the boost that it needs.
8 # Coconut Milk and Coffee Powder: Coconut Milk is rich in iron, proteins, potassium and natural fats. This is one of the most effective hair growth treatment.
- Take 50ml of coconut milk with 1 teaspoon of pure coffee powder
- Mix it well and apply the mixture on your scalp and hair
- Leave it on for about an hour before wash it off
- Do this for 15 to 20 days for black and healthy hair
9 # Coconut Milk Home Remedy: Coconut milk is perfect for those with dry hair. Coconut oil nourish and smooths the hair as it is packed with antioxidants and amino acids.
- Grate the white part of coconut and strain out all the juice that comes out of it
- Apply the juice on your scalp and leave it overnight
- Wash your hair with cold water the very next morning
10 # Green Tea Home Remedies: Green tea is a good source of antioxidants which help in reducing hair fall and stimulating hair growth. Green tea is also very useful for dandruff hair.
- Brew some green tea leaves in water
- Apply this warm tea all over your scalp
- Leave this for an hour
- Rinse it off with cold water
11 # Gooseberry, Curry and Coconut Oil: Indian Gooseberry oil has the ability to penetrate the scalp and strengthens hair at the root. Indian Gooseberry contains nutrients which can make grey hair turn black.
- Take 100 grams of Indian Gooseberry (Amla)
- Cut the Indian Gooseberries into small pieces
- Dry the pieces outside in the sun for 2 to 3 days
- Take 100grams of curry leaves
- Dry the curry leave outside in the sun for 1-2 days
- Take 1 liter of coconut oil
- Boil the dried Indian gooseberry pieces and curry leaves in the coconut oil for about 30 minutes
- Cool it down and store it in a glass jar
- Apply this to the scalp and rub vigorously till it starts to tingle with heat
- Leave it overnight and wash the hair with cold water the next day
- Do this 1-2 times a week
12 # Almond Oil: Almond Oil repairs damaged hair by penetrating the hair shaft and smoothing cuticles. The high content of fatty acids and proteins deeply moisturize hair and scalp leaving hair soft and shiny. Strengthen the hair from the roots. Due to high content of vitamin E, Omega 6, Omega 3 and Omega 9 fatty acids, it aids hair growth.
- Almond oil mixed with castor oil is one of the best remedies for hair growth.
- Mix these oils together and apply it daily on your hair for hair regrowth and hair strength.
13 # Fenugreek, Pepper and Coconut Milk: Fenugreek seeds not only help treat hair growth, but also help prevent and treat dandruff as well as make your hair thicker.
Powdered fenugreek, pepper powder and coconut milk mixed together proportionately and applied on the scalp for a good massage and then washed after 2-3 hours is another traditional homemade remedies for hair growth.
14 # Apple Cider Vinegar: Apple cider vinegar can be used as an after rinse after you shampoo your hair. If you find that the smell is too strong, dilute it in water and add any essential oil like thyme or rosemary.
15 # Aromatherapy: Aromatherapy has been known to be a cure for many different problems and hair loss is just one of the few things that it seems to help. These essential oils, when massaged onto the scalp, can also stimulate hair growth in some people and give them fuller more healthy looking hair.
16 # Exercise: Most people know that working out is good for them but they still do not realize the full benefits of exercising. Exercising has been known to actually help with hair growth, among other things, because the blood flow within the entire body is increased and more healthy oxygen cells are released as well. This all helps the dead cells in the scalp that are not providing healthy hair to grow more fully.
17 # Vitamin E: Vitamin e oil can be massaged on your scalp overnight and washed for smoother and softer hair. You can also use olive oil or sweet almond oil with an equal amount of castor oil.
18 # Diet: Your diet can also improve the health of your hair and can boost hair growth. Foods that are rich in vitamin B, E, A and C, dark green veggies and water should be added in your diet. If you have very poor hair growth, then you may require medications.
Precautions: If your hair is very brittle and weak, avoid hot styling tools, harsh brushing and too much of washing. Give your hair some time to breathe and use these hair masks to improve hair growth. Use mild shampoos and conditioners that do not have any fragrance in it. And also avoid blow dryers; let your hair air dry instead. Too much exposure to heat damages and breaks the hair shaft.