Exercises that benefit the body benefit the eyes also. However, here are a few exercises that directly strengthen the muscles of the eye and lens; and improve circulation of blood to the eye. The exercises if done not only for healthy eyes and for common vision problems, but in many cases help in improving vision to the point where the use of spectacles are not necessary.
Do not wear spectacles or contact lenses while doing these exercises and while in the process of doing these exercises daily, reduce as far as practicable your dependency on spectacles. The exercises are done while standing with the arm/arms held straight out in front of you, fist closed, thumb pointing upwards. Your thumb is the point on which your eyes concentrate for the exercises. Move the thumb as directed. Keeping the head firm and move the eyes only.
- Side to side
- Up & down
Each exercise is done not less than eight to ten times daily or on alternate days as prescribed.
How to Strengthen the Muscles of the Eyes and Lens:
• Breastfeeding of infants and sufficient intake of vitamin A for others from fresh fruit and vegetables benefits the eyes.
• Eyes should be examined annually, especially of school going children.
• Sharp objects, fireworks, etc. should be carefully handled.
• Protective glasses should be worn while and also working in situations of heat, light, dust smoke etc.
• Use protective glasses while riding two wheeler. Avoid using another person’s soap, towel or handkerchief, etc.
• Do not use eye makeup or touch eyes with dirty fingers, cloth, etc.
• If dust particles fall in the eye, splash with cold, clean water & consult your doctor. Do not rub the eye.
• Avoid self medication.
• Avoid reading very small print & read in clear light. Avoid dim lights for reading.
• Preferably reading in a sitting posture, not lying down.
• Avoid reading in moving vehicles.
• Maintain a distance of 10 feet from the television. Rest your eyes every 20 minutes while watching television or reading
• Looking at distant objects, rest the eyes.
Also Read: Benefits of Almonds for Weak Eyes